Wednesday, April 27, 2011

weather: rain

]Guess what?!?! I am so excited about the next set of projects (weird right?! I am never excited about art projects!)

Anyway, the 1st grade studies weather and all its glory. I decided I wanted to create a set of projects that make the kids interact with the weather rather then just paint a picture of a rainy day. (Very tricky because you are relying on something that is very unreliable!)

The trick with this unit, is to have a backup plan, be very flexible and know it might not work out exactly as you plan!

I got the idea for this project from an artist name Ashley Lathe. He created these rain painting machines at the McColl Center for Visual Art. Watch this video and check out the creation of art with the help of rain.






First, I created paint shakers by punching small holes in the top with a tact. I filled these shakers up with powdered tempera paint.

I have the the luxury of getting an extra art class when needed. This is super important because you need a good rain for this project.

So, I went and got the kids on a super rainy day, showed them the rain machine video and let them know how it all goes down...

The students use the shakers and cover their paper with the tempera. They bring the paper outside to a drop cloth I have and let the rain do the rest! Simple, but the outcome is really beautiful!




 Neat huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment