Thursday, May 26, 2011

weather: wind

The last art and weather project was WIND! The students created kites! (And they actually worked!!!) These were super fun and the kids had a ball when it came time to fly them outside!

Shape was a reoccurring theme for this project too:) An added bonus!

To start this took a bit of prep on my part....
I hot glued two skewers in a cross. I also broke down paper bag from a grocery store and I cut them into pieces that were slightly bigger then the skewer crosses.

The next few steps were for the kids to do. They first had to create the diamond shape on the paper bag using the cross. Some of the kids had a really hard time holding the cross still while drawing the lines. I think it is good though to challenge them like this sometimes.

Next, they got to decorate the kite using any shapes. I allowed the to color with markers. Then they cut out their diamond and used liquid glue to attach the cross and diamond together. At this point they need to dry over night.

Back to the good ol' teacher... I attached the kite string to the back of all the kites so they would be ready for the next class. Next, I let the kids punch holes so we could add decorative strings... they choose the string and punched the holes, I tied them on to the kite.

Luckily it was a bit windy the day we finished:)





No comments:

Post a Comment