Thursday, December 2, 2010

are you brave...

Well then have a Jackson Pollock day...

First, I read the first grade the book Action Jackson by Jan Greenberg and Sandra Jordan.This book has awesome illustrations!! I showed certain parts from the 1951 movie of Pollock painting. He has a bud in his month (not appropriate), but I wanted them to see him at work. I choose some sections were they were focused on his feet/ canvas. We talked all about action painting, expression, movement, etc.

We went over Pollock Painting rules...

Rules:
No throwing paint (at eachother)
Aim for the paper
Be flexible (don't worry if you get a little paint on you, share colors, etc.)
Be expressive
Have fun

Before we started I had the kids take their shoes and socks off. This alone made the kids act like it was freaking Christmas...

Kids in actions...





I had everything set and ready to go on my back patio... I am not going to lie... it took me a hot second to get everything ready! 

I recruited two upper school students to help out and the classroom teacher was there to supervise. 

We had a few mishaps... one student dropped a cup of paint... and it was like a geyser of red paint!!! It went all over her face, feet and a couple of the other kids. It was hilarious. Of course we ran out of time, and the kids feet were covered in paint. And yes I wiped them off the best I could; put their socks and shoes back on and sent them on their way. I am sure the parents were a little shocked when it was bath time.

It was all worth it when I heard the kids say... this was the best day ever because of art!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment