Wednesday, December 1, 2010

tribute to a chief...



Hold on to your hats people... this project is one of my favs!

The 5th grade chooses a Indian chief to study in L.A. In art, we research the craft from the chiefs tribe. Depending on the tribe, the students create either a mask or shield using information they found during their research. They take inspiration from where the tribe is located, important animals, crops, and different designs. We have only just started and I am SO PUMPED! And the kids are just loving this project. I am just tickled pink when the kids get really into projects.

So the students designed their mask/shield and drew it on cardboard. I cut them out and now they are just starting to paint them.

This is what we have so far...





This is not all either... after our crafts are finished... I am going introduce performance art :):):) I will  break the kids into groups and they will have to create a performance piece!!!! AHHHH LOVE IT!

More very very soon...



Artwork at the top of the post:
Edward Curtis, Chief White Shield, 1908

No comments:

Post a Comment