Monday, December 13, 2010

fantasy windows...



Oh how I love the brightly colored paintings of one Henri Mattise...

He is my inspiration for this fun second grade project... For the past few weeks the students have been working on drawing from pictures that they brought to school. They are illustrating (and writing in L.A.) their autobiographies. It is taking a bit longer ( and by bit I mean a LOT longer) and the kids were getting bored with it.

We stopped illustrating to look at Mr. Mattise's paintings. Specifically the paintings he did that included windows!

We discussed the color and the style in which he created art. We also talked about what fantasy was... I could really see the kids getting excited about Mattise!

The project requirements were:
Must include a window
Must be fantastical

That is all. And the kids were SO pumped! I gave them the choice to use markers, color pencils, or crayons. They also chose 3 large things that they were allowed to paint. (They drew very small and detailed, that is why I made them choose 3)







Here are the final creations...






I just love how creative kids are... flying horses, candy houses with aliens, stairs to space... just plain awesome.


Artwork at the top of post:
Henry Matisse, Armonía en rojo, 1908.

No comments:

Post a Comment