Monday, November 8, 2010

inuit art...



Inuit art refers to artwork produced by Inuit people (DUH!), which mean, people that lived in the Arctic. The term Eskimos might be what you are use to hearing/using, however, it is now considered offensive outside Alaska.  (just a little fact courtesy of Wikipedia.)

Historically their preferred medium was walrus ivory... but I think everyone would look down on me if I killed some walruses  just for my 5th grade class... so we used a different kind of Ivory...

My 5th grade students read the book Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead George. This book is about a young girl who takes to living with wolves in the Alaskan Tundra. 

I want to try to show my students all kinds of art from all over the world.  This project was cool because we looked at ton of Inuit art and I think it was something different from anything they had ever seen or done. 

Kids learned: 
Subtractive method of sculpting
Different types of stone
Working with a fragile material
Carving in a small area (great for fine motor skills)

All you need for this lesson is awesome example of Inuit art, a bar of ivory soap, and something to carve with... I went to good will and bought some butter knives and spoons. For the students carving, they had to choose an arctic animal and have a simple background (if there was room).

Need some inspiration? Go here.

Here are some examples of my students finish soap carvings!





Cool huh?


Art work at the top of post:
Agnes Nanogak and Louis Nigiyok, Holman,
Kangot (White Geese) , Stonecut 44/50, 1984

No comments:

Post a Comment