Tuesday, November 16, 2010

n.c. arts

I just love my 4th grade curriculum!!! In Language Arts and Social Studies, the students spend the first trimester learning about the different regions of North Carolina. So of course in art, we do a project related to each of the three regions... I would like to present to you... the regions of N.C. (art style)

Coastal Region: Lighthouse watercolors

Student had to choose one of the seven N.C. Lighthouse to base both a poem (in L.A.) and a watercolor painting. I like to challenge the students whenever I can... enter devious laugh here... So I made them do a small painting. The students have been watercoloring for years, and they are capable of working within a smaller space. The students each received a piece of watercolor paper... (I cut a 9x12 inch watercolor paper in half.)

We had a class discussion on watercolors: wet next to wet will run and mix colors, how to blend, using the correct size brush, making colors lighter or darker, etc. 

Requirments:
Must tape edges
Must demonstrate blending in the sky
Must accurately depict the lighthouse

Look at these beauts... (students had to mount both the painting and a poem together)





Stay tuned for...

Mountain Region: Weaving

AND

Piedmont Region: Catawba Indian Pottery

No comments:

Post a Comment