Saturday, November 13, 2010

a solution...

Well... I figured out what to do with those silly apple prints that were collecting dust at the bottom of the drawer!!!

I read the kids A Tree is Nice by Janice May Udry. By the way, this is just such a sweet book, and it has awesome illustrations!  Since the kids are learning about apples, I thought, why not do something that has to do with where the apples come from... TREEEEEEES... (Oh and I love trees and I mean LOVE)

In class we talked about the usual, what trees look like in all four seasons, colors of fall leaves, etc. I demoed how to draw a tree and let the kids go at it on a brown sheet of paper... some kids went buck wild with branches or should I say spikes... but for the most part I was impressed with the trees they made.

We cut the tree out (challenging for some) and then glued the trees on a blue sheet of paper (also challenging for some).

Next, we cut out the apple prints and then made fall colored leaves. I required them at least 5 apples and 10 leaves. It was nice to have the requirement because I could ask them to count how many they have of each and ask how many more they need. A little math integration!




I think this was a great project, the kids enjoyed the drawing, cutting and gluing. It hits all the basics of what kinder kids need to practice. Plus we used those boring apple prints... YAY!

Here are a few more examples... not done yet, but it will give you an idea...


No comments:

Post a Comment