Thursday, February 3, 2011

portraits...

3rd grade is studying Jamestown!! And what goes along with Jamestown?... POCAHONTAS AND JOHN SMITH!!!

So... we created John Smith, Pocahontas, and Powhatan portraits.  The kids are writing a report in LA on one of the these three. They draw a portrait of the person they were writing their report on.

I think 3rd grade is a great time to introduce portrait drawing. I did a demonstration on drawing the correct face shape and breaking the face down with lines. It is very difficult for some kids to get the face shape right. But have them keep working at it. I had pictures of the 3 people for the kids to look at.


Once the kids finish drawing out their portrait... we made it look old!


Last year, I had this great cream colored paper that made the portraits look old. I do not have anymore of this awesome paper, so I thought we could use white paper and "antique" it. To make it look "antiqued" I had the kids crumple up their paper.

It was so cute seeing the kids nervous to... "ruin" their art. After the kids crumpled up their art, they watercolored with blue or brown over the entire paper.






After the portraits were painted, I ironed them to dry them out. Lastly, the kids traced over their drawings to make them darker.
Here they are...






No comments:

Post a Comment