Friday, February 11, 2011

tar beach....


Tar Beach by Faith Ringgold is a wonderful, beautiful, and magical book. The 4th grade is studying slavery and later in the year will be looking at Civil Rights Movement. This book is perfect for showing the enchantment of a little girls imagination and tie in the Civil Rights Movement.

Even 4th grade still likes to have stories read to them. And I take every chance I can to read to my students. I just love the look on their faces when the hear the words and see the images. So I started off by reading them Tar Beach. 


Next, the students created them self flying. I showed them a few ways of drawing a flying self and did not limit the angle in which they were flying.

After they were finished drawing themselves, the students could choose anywhere they wanted to go or fly over! I had them mark off a boarder before drawing their backgrounds.




Once finished with their place, they added wallpaper pieces into the boarder. This gives the final touches on creating the quilt like feel the book has.

Go fly...








Up next:

Slavery Quilts!

No comments:

Post a Comment