Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Van Gogh Flowers...





Spring is in the air here at school. Even I have spring fever... (like seriously) I introduced Van Gogh to the Kindergarten and read them the biography Vincent van Gogh Sunflowers and Swirly Stars by Brad Buck and Joan Holub. I specifically focused on his flower paintings. The sunflowers and the iris paintings are just lovely. We talked about what impressionism means... I always tell my young students that impressionists put their IMPRESSION in the painting. Not what something really looks like but, the artists impression of the what something looks like.

This was the kindergartners first time using oil pastels in my class. I showed them how they could blend the colors and smear the pastels.

The students were instructed to create a vase full of flowers...using their impression... 







Artwork at the top of post:
Vincent Van Gogh, Vase with Twelve Sunflowers, 1888

No comments:

Post a Comment